Frequently asked questions
The purpose of the student chapter of Engineers Without Borders at Utah State University is to identify and solve engineering and humanitarian problems for impoverished orphanages and communities.
The principal activities include:
- Supplying clean water
- Providing alternative energy (solar power)
- Improving sanitary conditions
- Enhancing educational programs & awareness
- Assisting with tasks requested by the local people
Chapter activities will give you hands-on experience that can’t be duplicated in the classroom. This is especially true if you are an engineering student, but students of other majors can also receive great experience.
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to fill humanitarian needs for communities locally as well as in developing countries. Not only will this look great on your resume, you’ll also feel great inside. Participating in EWB-USU will help you become more aware of future contributions you can make to society.
No. Problems in different countries are complex, including, but not limited to:
- Engineering infrastructure
- Social impacts & considerations
- Economic factors & analysis
- Report writing
- Multi-lingual communication
EWB-Utah State needs help in a variety of areas including:
- Helping with technical designs
- Helping with project organization and logistics
- Mentoring the students during the project planning process
- Traveling with a team (every student team needs to be accompanied by a mentor)
If you would like to volunteer, please contact us.
Typically, representatives of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) contact our chapter either directly or through the National Headquarters (www.EWB-USA.org). We review the needs identified by the NGO and decide if we have:
- The necessary expertise
- Enough student members to assist with the project
- Funding potential sufficient for a project of the requested scope
Most definitely! We recognize that our main mission is humanitarian, and that technology accompanied by goodwill is an effective way of delivering.